Jan 23, 2010

Athelets are people too

Recently Boston Celtic's forward Glen Davis got in trouble for screaming obscenities at a fan that was heckling him. He is not the first athlete to get into trouble for this and I am sure he won't be the last. Micheal Vick got into hot water a few years ago for while playing for the Atlanta falcons he have a double one finger salute to some home town fans that were letting him know that they didn't appreciate his efforts on the field. It cost him some money and he had to make a public apology. My guess is Glen Davis will have to do the same as have other athletes have had to do for similar transgressions. The fans however got off scott free.

Now, I am a sports fan. More to the point I am a Brave's and a Falcon's fan. I have supported them both through the bad years as well as the good ones. And I feel that being a fan through thick and thin gives me the right, when my teams are not playing well to say, "my teams are not playing well". As a fan it is our right to voice our opinion on the play of our teams and players. as well as players of the opposing teams that I don't care for.

But there is a difference in "voicing an opinion" and booing the other team's players for beating my team and verbal abuse.

Why do some fans feel they have the right to stand up at a game and scream derogatory and inflammatory remarks at athletes? Why do the leagues back that belief by punishing the athlete that reacts to the taunting and the fans get to walk away free, in some instances even sue the athlete and even the team?

Athletes are just people. They have feeling. And they have rights also. If a guy walked up to someone who was just another guy on the street and started verbally abusing him they was some fans abuse some athlete's he would be arrested. Probably charged with disturbing the peace, or maybe even simple assault, or some other charge. If the person getting abused physically attacked the abuser and whipped him most people would say that he got what he deserved.

But not if you are an athlete. For some reason there is an unwritten rule that says that if you are an athlete you must take any and all abuse the public cares to throw your way. I think Glenn Davis should have just went and whipped the guy's butt.


No comments: